I spent the day learning more about how tvOS and the focus engine work. I’ve further improved the UI for TVPortal. I think the details screen is final, the recordings screen is almost done and playback screen is done. This has been an interesting project and quite educational. I haven’t really dabbled in media streaming in a while.
I have changed the minimum requirement for TVPortal to MPExtended 0.6 (there is beta available). This enables certain useful features like delete. After tinkering with TVML quite a bit I ended up making the UI with UIkit directly. Though, it should look vary familiar to tvOS users. I’ve included some screenshots of completed screens below. I need to update the UI for one final screen and we are ready to release.
Ignoring the UI, if you are interested in seeing where HDTV streaming on Apple TV via Media Portal is. I have made a small video. I hope to have live TV streaming working next followed by ad skipping and seeking (with comskip data) .
There have been many people who had problems with HTTP upload in the most recent versions. It appears the vast majority of connection issues with http uploads appear to be related to one of the following:
1. Monal requires HTTPS
2. iOS requires a valid certificate
3. iOS requires a certain set of ciphers (anurodhp/Monal#35 (comment))
I am making a free Media Portal client for Apple TV. At the moment I’m calling this guy TVPortal. This is mostly driven by my desire to watch my recorded tv shows on Appletv.
Phase 1 will be to to watch recorded content.
Phase 2 epg and record scheduling from appletv.
Phase 3 will be live streaming tv.
For me personally this will be the holy grail for Appletv. A single box that can handle all of my media needs including OTA free TV. Of course the DVR component would require a separate box as Media portal is an open source Windows dvr. If you are interested, please email me (email@example.com). I would like to test this a lot before we go live in the App Store.
The backend code for phase 1 is nearly complete, once I have a basic ui, we will begin testing. I will update this post With further details as the app progresses.
Wordswat is something I made between projects. This is a fantasy adventure that covers high frequency english vocabulary for children in kindergarten and first grade. Pick a grade and one of several units where a creature will ask the player to spell a set of words. (iPad iOS7 and up, Free)
- All the the game’s words are actual audio recordings that do not feature the mispronunciation and odd intonation common in computer generated audio.
- Uses simple sentences for homophones
- The vocabulary list should align closely with common core.
Quick update to fix some of the issues people saw with 1.3 . Also, some UI updates that didn’t make it to the last release.
Monal 2.9 for iOS is now available.
Showing once again how much faster the Mac App Store review process is, Monal 1.3 for OS X has been released. If you find the app useful, please review it in the app store to help others discover it. Reviews are reset on every release and I don’t pester people for reviews, so often there are no reviews on the app despite the fact that thousands of people use it.
Monal OSX 1.3 and iOS 2.9 are almost ready. I have put up what I hope will be the final OS X beta and will begin beta testing iOS today.
This is a major update. iOS does not run on iOS 6 anymore. iOS 7 isn’t actually supported but will still run.
There are many major improvements. Most notably:
- XEP-0313: Message Archive Management to download chat history.
- XEP-0352: Client State Indication for dramatic reduction on power use.
- XEP-0363: HTTP File Upload to send images in conversations
- Dropbox integration to share files. Can be used when HTTP upload isn’t available.
- Fixed several issues with periodic disconnects when in the background
- Sped up the app significantly. In particular, logging in.
- Rosters download correctly again and contacts should have proper full names instead of id shown.
- Fixed bugs with Google logins
- iOS text input will grow to multiple lines