I promised to keep supporting iOS 3.x users as long as I could. The time has finally arrived where there are compelling enough technologies in newer versions that I can’t support 3.x users anymore. The new minimum requirement will be ios4 and that should include everything but the original iPhone.
2.0.6 is almost done. I am currently bug testing. Barring any major bugs it should be out in before x-mas. Still no jingle. That will be a huge update, probably Monal 2.1
This is a major update that adds many features and fixes significant bugs.
1. fixed bug where close all chats closed even when clicking no
2. Added ability to swipe between active chat windows (issue #15)
3. tapping on a sliding message notification will take you to the conversation
4. keyboard correctly resets from symbols after sending a message
5. Chatlog is now organized by day instead of a large flat list
6. Changed icon set to support retina display
7. improved compatibility with old style SSL
8. tested to work with Oracle Beehive servers
9. Fixed bug with SASL authentication
10. Resolved ios5 issues with SSL
11. Fixed problems connecting to cisco webex servers
12. Shows own full name properly when in chat window
13. Fixed xmpp bug with iq query on vcard request (issue #55)
14. Added a cancel button below progress indicator to cancel a login attempt. (issue #26)
15. enabled Gtalk connections on 443
As I poke through facebook, every once in a while I stumble upon some rather fun security holes. This one is probably one of my favorites. It is simple to exploit and the victim has no way of stopping it.
For this to be most effective, it requires you to have initial access to a target’s account but it is not necessary. This can be done by:
1. using firesheep on a public wifi network
2. when a person has left a machine logged in or has stepped away for a few seconds.
3. tricking them into sending you a screenshot of the page below.
4. looking over someone’s shoulder
With the user logged in, go to
On the lower left, there is the” upload via email” option with an email address. Anyone who has this email address can post videos and images to a victim’s FB wall. Once the email address has been acquired by the attacker, the victim cannot change it. When something is posted on the wall using this email address, nothing will indicate who posted it or how. Facebook has no security to only allow certain senders to use this address.
The email address appears to be in the form
in order for the email to work
1. it must have a subject
2. it must have an image/video attached
Since it uses two dictionary words and a number, a determined spammer can also just brute force into random accounts by sending out millions of emails.
When an attack is successful, a confirmation email comes with the subject “Facebook Photos” confirming that that email account is valid and the photo has been posted.
This is how a compromised post appears on the wall. The only hint as to where it came from is Mobile Uploads album.
2.0.5 development branch has been frozen. I am currently testing for release. This version does not have jingle voice chat. I hope to have it working properly in the 2.0.6 release. Im pushing this out since I missed my September release deadline for 2.0.5
This is an update that fixes bugs and adds features.
1. iOS5 compatible (fixes crashes)
2. Uses standard iphone notification sound and vibrations.
3. Fixed bug where sounds didnt play
4. Uses device/switch settings. Removed vibration options in Monal settings since they are redundant
5. Correctly detects https links in chats
6. Added feature to not save the password and request it on every login for additional security.
7. improved xmpp capabilities support (xep-0115)
8. in chat view, will show the full date if the message came on another day
9.Added expanding text view like in messages app.
10. chat log can use the full screen to display messages (removed grey box at bottom)
Things to expect in the September release.
1. Uses standard iphone notification sound and vibrations.
2. Fixed bug where sounds didnt play
3. Uses device/switch settings. Removed vibration options in Monal settings since they are redundant
4. Correctly detects https links in chats
Also worked on the ability to not save the password at all and enter it on every login.
Making good progress on that. I think I am about 50% done.
I have iOS5 and the new development kit. The current version of Monal works fantastic with the fantastic new notification system. I havent tried out the new lock screen yet, but it should work just the same.
It seems Apple has changed their app ranking algorithms. It now includes regular usage in addition to downloads. I hadn’t noticed this before. Keep using Monal, tell others.
Q. Why am I not getting sound or vibration alerts?
A. Make sure they are enabled in the settings screen. In addition for sound alerts, make sure the silence switch is not turned on. Finally, both sound and vibrate only occur when the screen is locked or the app is running in the background. In other cases it is assumed that you are looking at the monal app and dont need the additional notification of a new message.
Q. How do I remove contacts?
A. Swipe on them on the contacts screen and then tap remove.